Ah, New York City and Manhattan. This is what everybody in Europe imagines as prototypical U.S.A. It is strange that New York City is so close to the edge of the state and practically constitutes a different country compared to upstate New York. Compared to upstate and Canada, the press of bodies on Broadway and 5th Avenue takes everything to another level. Thanks to Christian and Renita, I had a luxurious home base and a great welcome as always. While they were hard at work, I was prowling the city. Reading books at the Strand was a great novelty. To be surrounded by so many English language books chosen by the specialists at the Strand was extra special. Eating hot dogs near the Empire State (sorry Greys Papaya, you are good but I wanted the street experience). I also took a stroll through the Natural History Museum to look at dinosaur bones and stuffed animals. We had a nice evening of Brazilian food and a get together with some good friends of Christian and Renita. Also, a shout out to Sharon who now calls the city home and was able to take an evening off and meet up with me.
The moon rises over a funky city.
Coney Island. A very Russian flavor to the neighborhood. The beach season was over, but I was still able to get a coney island dog and a lemonade.
Coney Island's somewhat shady amusement park. Read Sophies choice and get a flavor for this place.
This is the immigration museum on Staten Island. Kind of cool and interesting. Charlie Chaplan apparently showed up to sign his papers and walked up the steps doing a handstand (so says the friendly tour guide).
The statue of liberty. I'm not yet fresh off the boat!
The Manhattan skyline from the water. Please let me in!
Now that I have truly entered the country, I am ready to head to where the action really is. Washington, DC!










No comments:
Post a Comment